1) Please read Jan Verwoert’s essay and be prepared to discuss. (I have listed some questions that may direct our conversation).
2) Bring your 4 painting (studies) to class which we will look at.
3) Have materials ready for beginning your larger, more sustained project. You may also bring materials to work outside (en plein air) should you choose.
Please note that Artist Pages have been added for Sergej Jensen Mamma Andersson and Richard Aldrich. I will continue to update this section throughout the year so please have a look. Also you will find essays on their work and other important contemporary artists in the “essay” section.
1) Does it make sense to make a single medium the subject of a text or an exhibition?
2) What reasons does Verwoert give for speaking about painting in isolation and what are his counter-arguments?
3) How did Conceptual Art irrevocably sever the connection between art and its medium?
4) What does Rosalind Krauss mean by “post-medium condition” and how does this effect an understanding of painting?
5) What does Verwoert mean by “Painting as situative strategic practice?”
Raoul de Keyser talk at the Renaissance Society